Thursday, April 14, 2011

What's up with Vampires??

So, I just spent about an hour perusing Barnes and Noble for a new book. Unfortunately, not one of the titles peaked my interest. 

I usually look for books in the teen section, because teen is “supposedly” for both genders and I still enjoy a lot of teenage fiction. I must say, I think they misplaced the label for “girl reads” and accidentally slapped “teen” onto this list of books, because I’m catching a lot of female vibes here. A lot. Or, maybe it’s just the vampires. The vamps seem to have claimed this territory as a hunting ground, and we know from Twilight that teenage girls are easy prey. There must be something alluring about dead guys that suck blood. They are definitely chick magnets. If you don’t believe me, ask my coworker. She basically told me that Edward is the god of all things male, and that if I ever want to improve my masculinity, I should take lessons from Edward Cullen. I told her I don’t want to be a crazy pedophile with shiny skin. I swear, the top 60 books in the teen section are all about vampires, or they are the  4th and 5th books in a series—which is usually about vampires. We live in America, the land of the free. Where are all the choices?

So I didn’t find a new book today, but I did discover something quite disturbing. You know how I raved about the Nook in an earlier post? I’ve changed my opinion. I no longer love it; my love has lessened to a general emotion of like. Why, you might ask?! Because my ebook is not a paperback!!

I know, I know. That’s why we have ebooks, so we don’t have to carry a big-inconvenient book around. And I appreciate that attribute very much. I love that part. What I don’t appreciate is the Nook’s “LendMe” policy. When we purchase an ebook, the book is ours, just as if we owned the paperback in real life. Now, unlike a paperback book owner, if I want to loan my book out to several friends over a year’s time…I can’t. With the Nook’s policy, it is simply impossible. What I am permitted to do with the book that I own is to read it as many times as I want, wherever I want, and then if I think my friends would enjoy the book, I am allowed to select one of them to lend it to. And then I can never lend the book out again. Never. Do you see why I’m disappointed? I am the proud owner of many ebooks that cost around the same price as regular paperbacks (with some exceptions), and I can’t even loan an ebook out to two different family members without giving out my personal information and access to my credit cards. 
 
Ok, granted that this wouldn’t be as much of a problem if I lived far away from my family. And,  I know stores and authors need to make money off these books. Everyone needs to eat; but still, being able to loan out an ebook only once—and only certain ones—that sucks. Pardon my French.  Sorry for being a little lengthy today. And thank you for reading my rants and ramblings; I really do appreciate your support. Have an awesome day and please let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment