Here's the review you've all been waiting for! ;P
I read this book a few days ago. I know I thought it was a pretty good story, but nothing about it really sticks in my head. I guess it’s because I found it to be very similar to one of the books I read this summer. Angelfire is best described as a mix between Buffy the Vampire Slayer and a book called Fallen by Thomas E. Sniegoski. Buffy is about a “slayer” chosen every generation to fight off vampires and all spawn of hell. Angelfire maneuvers the same paths, but with its own unique twist.
The book Fallen deals with a race of beings born from the union of fallen angels and humans. The race is called nephilim. These nephilim have great powers that manifest themselves at the age of eighteen. Having super powers is pretty cool, but being targeted for killing practice by archangels of God once you receive them—kind of puts a damper on things. Of course, he also didn’t have a heads up about being part angel until his powers manifested. Oh, I just remembered this is just like Percy Jackson and the Lightning Theif. Angelfire is a mix between Buffy, Fallen, and the Lightening Thief! So, as in all these books, Angelfire is like the main character and she, just like the boy in Fallen, will get her own guardian protector.
Between your knowledge and my description of Fallen and Buffy, we have basically outlined the entire plotline of Angelfire. If you haven’t read the Fallen and The Lightening Thief I think you would enjoy this book and think it pretty original. And if you loved those other two books and like staying in the same genre, you’d probably love this book as well.
I’m not saying that Courtney Moulton’s book is boring, I’m just saying it’s similar to other books I’ve read, so I didn’t get as much out of it as you might. Moulton does do a pretty good job at bringing a teenager’s social awkwardness and desire to be loved and be normal into the plotline. So, teen drama lovers that’s a plug for you! That’s my review, I hope it was helpful.
.53.5 out of 5

No comments:
Post a Comment