Friday, April 15, 2011

Intrigues by Mercedes Lackey


Just finished Intrigues by Mercedes Lackey. What a good book. I’ll admit she sometimes puts a lot of effort into setting up the story and detail, but if you let yourself get into the story…IT IS GOOD. Her books are usually “feel good” books; especially the Heralds of Valdemar novels. Sure, there is always some great conflict to conquer, some enemy to defeat, or plot to uncover, but almost every book includes a main character who suffers from some type of insecurity and in the end, he/she recognizes his/her personal worth.

Intrigues, the second volume of The Collegium Chronicles, is about Mags, a teenage boy recently rescued from the mines. Being unschooled, except for the basic fundamentals of reading and writing, he’s now at the Herald Academy training to be a “herald”-- the equivalent of a knight in medieval terms.  To qualify as a herald candidate, one is chosen by a “Companion” –a mystical horse of supernatural qualities, and then that person trains at the Academy. Mag’s Companion is Dallen. He helps Mags adapt to normal life and overcome the challenges of the academy. And there are challenges! Especially when the whole academy is convinced that he will murder the king!

I love Mercedes Lackey, I love her land of Valdemar, and I love her characters. So what more can I say? By default, I LOVE this book. This is the second book, so look for her first book Foundation and after reading that, I might let you read Intrigues. Maybe. J
5 out of 5 bookmarks

No comments:

Post a Comment