Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Manta's Gift

Timothy Zahn is one of my best friend's favorite authors. He was introduced to him through his Star Wars novels and then gifted me with Manta's Gift before I left on a business trip. Usually, I am not a fan of science fiction novels-- high-tech mechanical weapons, bionic armor, and people being blasted to death with laser beams kindof loses my interest, but I thoroughly enjoyed this book.

Just yesterday, I loaned this novel to my older brother, he read the back and said, "This sounds just like Avatar". He was right. Manta's Gift is VERY similar to Avatar. A sentinent, intelligent race was found on Jupiter, Americans strive to contact and befriend the race, and the race forms an alliance presenting the quadriplegic Matt Raimey with the opportunity to study the alien's culture first hand....as one of them...did I mention they look like humongous manta rays?


In this new world (which is higly impressive--complements to Timothy Zahn on his world building skills), Matt experiences feelings of mixed allegiance, aloofness, and obviously love, plus the thrill of starting a new life...allbeit a strange one ;) Even though the plotline is almost identical to Avatar, don't strike Manta's Gift off your reading list. Zahn is an extraordinary author, the depictions of the new world are amazing, and his characters are very realistic and believable...isn't that weird?!

The story flows smoothly, is easy to read, and is very touching. I would be lying if I said the story didn't move me. My heartstrings were tugged (do we even have heartstrings?) and my emotions were stirred. Read this book, you won't regret it and your imagination will thank you.
5 out of 5 bookmarks

No comments:

Post a Comment