Monday, October 4, 2010

A Good Old Book


I have to admit, I am easily swayed by bookcovers. If the cover of a book looks new, vibrant, and interesting, it usually calls to me like chocolate. Great cover art captures and entices me. That is why my find in an old, used book store surprised me. Among all the novels and tempting book covers, I found a diamond in the rough--emphasis on rough!

 After conducting an intense two-hour investigation,  two battered books nestled in the comfy confines of my book-filled grocery bag. At first I was worried, these books weren't flashy, the rips and tears can attest to that, but upon careful scrutiny and a self-reminder that I'm buying a story and not a book in bad condition, Gregg Bear's The Infinity Concerto and The Serpent Mage needled their way into my private collection. And I am glad they did.

The cover art of The Infinity Concerto may seem dull and boring, but the content inbetween is a montage of fantastical fantasy and imagery. The story set in LA transcends the norm of Earth and wanders through the realm of Faerie and back again. The author introduces us to young Michael Perrin, a well-behaved, seventeen-year-old poet and introvert. At a party, Michael is acquainted with the famous composer Arno Waltiri, whose mysterious musical masterpiece rivaled the beauty of Beethoven and the danger of the mythic siren...fore many of the listeners vanished.  Perhaps it was for this reason, that the scores for Waltiri's Opus were never recorded or found. This notable composer befriends young Perrin and gifts him with instructions and a peculiar key.

 Upon the old composer's deathbed, Waltiri repents and laments his ill-given present which later exposes us to mysterious characters, racial conflicts, and magical happenings....not altogether pleasant.

As I said, these books are diamonds in the rough and enjoyable as chocolate..without the fat ;) Read the first, don't mind it's cover, and it will most assuredly pull you into the second book, The Serpent Mage. Both books are amazingly well written and worth the read. Hope you find them...and a last word: Enjoy!
4 out of 5 bookmarks

No comments:

Post a Comment